Profile of Wally Haywood – Trading as HBE
Wally started his career in the field of transport services, employed by Spoornet. For the most part he worked as Materials Inspector specialising in contracts management, quality assurance and control involving materials supplied by key suppliers to Spoornet.
In 1983 Wally continued his career at Armscor in the role of Section Head, leading the quality control and standardisation teams. In this role Wally gained extensive experience in quality management, assurance and control including project management, systems engineering, configuration control and configuration management. In October 1988 Wally joined IST, a leading technology company, in the position of Quality Manager of IST, reporting directly to the IST Managing Director. He was later promoted to IST’s Executive Committee, being responsible for Quality, Safety, Health, Environment (SHEQ) and Product Data Management (PDM). In his executive role, he was utilised on many occasions to participate in quality and project related work on key projects across all business units of the IST Group.
During 2007, one of the IST Group’s divisions, IST Nuclear, was acquired by Westinghouse Electric (US). As part of the acquisition Wally joined Westinghouse in the position of General Manager (Implementation), reporting directly to the Managing Director of Westinghouse South Africa. In this position Wally was responsible for SHEQ, PDM, Supply Chain Management and Construction/Field Services projects. During this period Wally was also assigned by Westinghouse to take over the Helium Test Facility (a R200m project). He successfully resolved an extensive number of problem areas (in particular quality and delivery issues in meeting the expectations of the client) and managed the project to successful completion. During 2010 he was assigned by Westinghouse to resolve a very challenging nuclear delivery project at the Ling Ao nuclear facility in China.
In January 2011, Wally started his own consulting business in the fields of SHEQ, Configuration and Project Management. In February 2011 he was appointed as consultant with the responsibility of the full scope of SHEQ management on the new isotope production reactor project at NECSA. This was an extremely exciting nuclear project (value of R2bn) with a 10 year scope. This project was unfortunately terminated by NECSA due to financial and other considerations. During 2012, Wally was approached by a prominent supplier of Armoured Vehicles to act as expert in facilitating the organization in the implementation and certification of ISO 9001:2008. The scope of work was later extended to support a large export project (R1,6bn) in advanced quality assurance and control functions. The Quality support function included supplier selection and development on a local and international level. In May 2012, the SABS appointed Wally to manage several strategic projects of the SABS. One of the projects involved the reinstatement of the SABS accreditation to ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and ISO 22001 accredited by both the RvA and SANAS. This project was successfully achieved in three months. During 2016 Wally was approached to provided Project Management Services for Ario at Eskom Kusile – Task 454 – Reliability Basis Optimisation project. In 2017 Wally performed Gap Analysis on ISO 9001, ISO14001 and OHSAS18001 and providing inputs and recommendation on Business Excellence Models for IST Powertech. Since 2016 Wally is Providing Project and Quality Management Services to Ario on Rectifiers, Inverters and Soft Starters and leading Ario in achieving their ISO9001:2015 certification.
Being fortunate in gaining extensive experience in a broad range of quality and business delivery aspects, Wally’s experience and core competencies comprise the following:
- Executive management of companies in engineering, technical, quality and project management fields. In this context Wally played an important role in the development of the IST Group business units and providing operational and management support in all areas of business.
- Extensive experience in the fields of Quality, Safety, Health, Environment (SHEQ) implementation and auditing associated with ISO9001, ISO45001, OHSAS18001, ISO 50001, NAQ-1 and RD-0034
- Supporting companies in performing Gap Analysis in standards such as ISO9001, ISO45001, and OHSAS18001
- Management expertise in several business areas and in particular the energy sector.
- Have an excellent understanding of the interface between Client, supplier and sub-suppliers and how important it is to establish and maintain a sustainable business relationship.
- Leading IST Group in winning the first ever SAQI National Quality Award in 1995.
- Participated in projects and performed supplier evaluations in the USA, South America, Europe, China and South Africa.
- Training in the field of SHEQ. Was part-time Lecturer at Pretoria Technikon for thirteen years.
- Established experience in risk assessments, supplier assessments and auditing techniques.
- Established experience in providing project solutions for projects in distress.
- Established experience in supplier development and support.
For his contribution to business support in all divisions of IST Group, Wally received the highly acclaimed IST Group award for business support in 2005.
Get more information
10D View Street, Rietvalleirand
083 272 7071 / 083 352 9188